Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Scalability : More than 60 media servers per master?

2005-09-15 02:52:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Scalability : More than 60 media servers per master?
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:52:54 +1000
------=_Part_6025_1418879.1126767174174

How many tape drives are there and to what extent are you using SSO ?

On 9/15/05, Mike Thomson <michthom AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi folks
>=20
> I'm interested in hearing from anyone in a mixed platform environment
> who is running more than 60 media servers from one master server.
>=20
> We currently have 39 media servers (Solaris, HP-UX, WIndows, Linux)
> managed by a clustered pair of Solaris 9 SunFire V880 machines as the
> master server.
>=20
> Our immediate plans call for adding about 30 new media servers, and
> I'm concerned about scalability and performance as we move into 2006.
>=20
> Symantec have advised that we are unlikely to hit any absolute
> barriers, but they are preaching caution with regard to the number of
> media servers per master going above 60, citing the time to scan for
> available drives as the likely tipping point.
>=20
> We are considering whether to create a new master server cluster to
> divide our future workload, but I want to have a strong justification
> for the hardware and software spend.
>=20
> While I realise Symantec will err on the side of caution, I don't want
> to assume everything will just work. Clearly we are also looking at
> the release of 6.x to provide some scalability benefits, but this will
> not meet our needs before the end of this year.
>=20
> If you have responsibility for a large environment and are willing to
> discuss it, please email me and I can give you more details.
>=20
> Cheers
> Mike Thomson
>=20
> UK-based mobile telecommunications company
>=20
> Solaris 9 clustered master server
> 39 Mixed media servers (Solaris, HP-UX, Windows, Linux)
> 650+ clients
> 2 x StorageTek L5500 tape libraries (with ACSLS control)
> All IBM LTO-2 drives, fibrechannel SAN connected
>=20

------=_Part_6025_1418879.1126767174174

How many tape drives are there and to what extent are you using SSO ?<br>
ername">Mike Thomson</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michthom AT gmail DOT
com">michthom=
@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; paddi=
ng-left: 1ex;">
Hi folks<br><br>I'm interested in hearing from anyone in a mixed platform e=
nvironment<br>who is running more than 60 media servers from one master ser=
ver.<br><br>We currently have 39 media servers (Solaris, HP-UX, WIndows, Li=
nux)
r>master server.<br><br>Our immediate plans call for adding about 30 new me=
dia servers, and<br>I'm concerned about scalability and performance as we m=
ove into 2006.
arriers, but they are preaching caution with regard to the number of<br>med=
ia servers per master going above 60, citing the time to scan for<br>availa=
ble drives as the likely tipping point.
r>for the hardware and software spend.<br><br>While I realise Symantec will=
 err on the side of caution, I don't want
the release of 6.x to provide some scalability benefits, but this will<br>n=
ot meet our needs before the end of this year.<br><br>If you have responsib=
ility for a large environment and are willing to
r>Solaris 9 clustered master server<br>39 Mixed media servers (Solaris, HP-=
UX, Windows, Linux)
_________________________________<br>Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;=
&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">
Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.aubu=