Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Mailbox Backups

2005-09-14 23:13:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Mailbox Backups
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
we used to do about 1000 mailboxes at 100gb total...
it takes a long time for sure.  we went and bought
qwest recovery manager for exchange which allows us to
restore to a virtual exchange server the full exchange
db backup to recover mailboxes/pub folders/etc.  this
allowed us to eliminate the mailbox backup policy.

we had issues with having one db for exchange so we
have broken it up to 4 db's (restoring mailboxes was
not the reason for this).  this allows the recov mgr
to restore only the db you need which speeds things up
(i know we give up the restore time compared to brick
level).