Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris split-mirror backups

2005-09-06 18:05:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris split-mirror backups
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Can I split a mirror on Solaris

There are different ways of creating a mirror on Solaris, and the
answer depends on how you do it.

, back up the mirror member, and then do
> an incremental copy of the changed blocks when re-establishing the
> mirror?  My Solaris admin is saying that I need to do a full mirror copy
> and that's going to be painful.

SDS/LVM and non-flashsnap VxVM do not support incremental
re-establishes.  Flashsnap licensed VxVM does.

Of course, both UFS and VxFS support temporary, consistent "snapshots"
at the filesystem rather than disk level.  You might prefer to backup a
filesystem snapshot rather than mess with the disk mirroring stuff.