Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbkar.exe hanging - "The binding handle is invalid"

2005-09-30 20:11:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbkar.exe hanging - "The binding handle is invalid"
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
--- Anthony Guzzi <avivausa AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

> The Windows folks here have the 'pskill' utility
> along with a fair number of
> other utilities, but none of them seemed to work.
> And just double (triple?
> quadruple?) check that I have the story right, I
> asked the Windows admins again
> how they clear this and they said they *always* have
> to power cycle the box;
> the OS will not shutdown when the 'bpbkar.exe'
> process hangs, thus hanging the
> OS shutdown and requiring the power cycle of the
> box.

is process explorer one of the utils?  this can exmine
the threads, open files, and kill the process.  ive
used it to kill procs that kill.exe and others cant.
www.sysinternals.com

are you running any scheduled virus scans or have an
on-demand virus product (open a file casues it to be
scanned)?  i use bpstart/stop notify to shutdown these
products on windows.

all your drivers/patches up to date on windows?  we
have had poor perf on machines that needed raid
controller firmware updates, out of date drivers or
other missing patches.

any network errors comming from the nics involved or
(if in a switched env) the connected switch ports?

you could turn on auditing of failed access to files
and see if bpbkar is getting access denied however
that shouldnt make the process hang.  are the client
log settings are turned up all the way?  we had a 2003
system that was hanging on creating the IDR file (14k
file).  it was at least leaving a small trail of the
root cause in event viewer.  the fix was an early
patch for 4.5fp8 on a 4.5fp7 client that fixed it.

this is probably the 'normal suspects'... best of luck

http://mail.yahoo.com