Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris Client Push Install (Windows NBU Master Environment)

2005-08-03 07:20:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris Client Push Install (Windows NBU Master Environment)
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:20:29 +0100
Daryl Katauskas wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Was wondering if anybody out there has an all Windows Master/Media
> server NBU Environment (V5.1) and had a lot of Solaris clients?
>
> I?d like to be able to push the Solaris clients, but know that this is
> not supported with a Windows Master.
>
> Has anybody found a way to push deploy the NBU Solaris clients (from
> another, non-NBU Solaris box)?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Daryl Katauskas
>
> * *
>
> *Lead Design Engineer, Storage Solutions*
>
> NST
>
> 516 West Fifth Ave.
>
> Naperville, IL 60563
>
> *direct* 630.281.7041
>
> *fax** * 630.904.9601
>
> *Right click on the image to save it to your computer.*

I have not tried this at all but may suggest something which could help.

I have a copy of a script called sftp_to_client which someone created by
hacking the ftp_to_client script which comes with netbackup solaris.

This meant i could then run sftp_to_client with a hostname as long as i
had ssh connectivity to the host. It would put all the netbackup files
there and then need an install script running on the client. ( This can
be done remotely via ssh. ssh -l root <client> "/tmp/bpinstall.sh" )
assuming you can ssh as root ( i turn it on for purposes of install and
then turn off afterwards but its up to you ) to the client.

Obviously i am describing solaris here, but if you have windows you can
get something called cygwin www.cygwin.com which is a unix shell
environment for windows. It can run ssh.

If the directory structure is similar on windows and if the
ftp_to_client exists ( /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris9 )
then you could probably script something with cygwin to launch the
sftp_to_client ( once found from the net or i send you a copy ) and it
may all work.

Just a thought. Not tested/ tried at all im afraid im just thinking of
possibilities :)

Cheers
Dave