Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dual port HBA - 1 port disk, 1 port tape...good or bad?

2005-07-27 14:46:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dual port HBA - 1 port disk, 1 port tape...good or bad?
From: Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:46:04 -0500
keep in mind that the bandwidth limits on a 32 bit, 33Mhz PCI bus are
132 MB/sec. That's the biggest limit I run into in my backup
environment, and someone else mentioned it. That's the agregate for
all devices on the bus. If you have a network card and modern tape
technology, you can pretty much max out that bus bandwidth with just
the network reads and tape writes. On one of my media servers, I'm
quite happy if I get 40MB/sec in from the network and write (inline
tape copy) that out to 2 tape drives. That's pushing the bus at
120MB/sec.

-Charlie