Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performing restores from recovered catalogs

2005-07-25 14:58:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performing restores from recovered catalogs
From: DHarrell AT amig DOT com (Doug Harrell/AMIG)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:58:41 -0400
Hi All,

I'm running NBU4.5mp5 across the board.  Master is Win2k with 2 additional
media servers on AIX5.2.

Last week I participated in a DR test at an offsite location.  Installed
NBU software and recovered catalogs from a catalog backup without issue.
The first client we attempted to restore errored-out with "Server does not
contain any backups for the specified client".  The other client restores
did display the correct file trees, but  when the restore was started the
hour-glass doodad was displayed for 5 minutes(almost to the second), then
we'd get a pop-up with status 23 and the job would queue up in activity
monitor(?) and sit there for 6 minutes (again, almost to the second) before
going active.  After going active, the job would run perfectly for a while,
thru reel switches and everything, then just stop doing anything.  The view
status page shows a long list of files that were not restored, with no
reason given, yet the job stayed active.

Was it just coincidence that the client read timeout is 5 minutes and queue
timeout is 6 minutes?

Could this weirdness be caused by inconsistencies in the restored catalogs?
I suspect that client backups were running when the catalog backup was
made.

Any thoughts or insights ya'll might have would be appreciated,

Doug Harrell

BTW: Master got whacked before I could get the logs.