Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cross duplicating

2005-07-22 18:15:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cross duplicating
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:15:22 -0500
--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

* Pantejo, Barbara                FTL <BPantejo AT citco DOT com> [2005-07-22
16:3=
1]:
> Our company has 2 NetBackup DC 4.5 master servers with direct attached
> robots; each master server in a different data center several miles apart.
> Is it possible to duplicate the other master server's backup media using =
the
> bpduplicate command with the -altreadhost parameter? In other words, can I
> duplicate the media tapes in master server 2 from master server 1? And vi=
ce
> versa?
>=20
> Has anyone tried this? If so, how (un)successful were you?

No, it is not possible. altreadhost tells a different media server to
mount the media. In this case, master server 1 does not have physical
access to the media controlled by master server 2. The only thing you
can do is dupe over the network, but you are unlikely to have the
bandwidth necessary to do that effectively. This is further complicated
by the fact that you can NOT share media between master servers, so even
duping over the network will not work (ms1 will not know about storage
units in ms2's environment).

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com