Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help with scheduling

2005-07-21 22:21:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help with scheduling
From: Eric.Ljungblad AT CopleyPress DOT com (Eric Ljungblad)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:21:26 -0700
Personally I would use the calendar based scheduling specially for Full
long term hold backups.

I used to use only Frequency based but I found some issues.

Example:  Once per week, Friday night full backups, 1900 - 2300 Start
window. Schedule NT-Weekly Frequency based:

If for some reason, network maintenance, server maintenance etc...  IF
any of the backups Start very late, like 2300 then the following week
the backups will again start at that same late time - even if the start
window indicates 1900 - 2300 - if the week prior / month prior or
whatever -
If for some reason the backups are delayed, you may find yourself
looking
For jobs to start and wonder why they did not start until very late
rather than the exact start time.  This used to be very frustrating.

A example of calendar based:

I setup 4 schedules for all Windows Policy's -

NT-Daily =  Monday - Thursday Calendar Based -

NT-Weekly = Calendar based - Recurring the Last Friday of weeks 1,2,3,4
Leaving off the 5th Friday if that Month has a 5th its for the Monthly.

NT-Monthly = Calendar Based - Recurring the Last Friday of the Month.
Note if the Month has 5 weeks there is no overlap - check notes at the
bottom,

NT-Yearly  = Last Friday of December - Calendar based.

HERE IS THE KICKER - In the NT-WEEKLY schedule  I Excluded the Last
Friday of the Month for the Months that only have 4 Friday's in them.
So the Monthly can run on that day the last Friday of the Month -

This has been working very well and I have had no problems.

Also, for the yearly'  I just go to the NT-Weekly and NT-Monthly
schedules and exclude the last Friday of December

To allow for the Yearly to run without overlap.

The Allow Retries after run day to be checked I found is a good thing -
specially If the backup is scheduled

To start Friday through Saturday window - But the backup fails and tries
to start over on Saturday it wont start

If the allow restart after run day is not checked even if you have the
start time to go through Saturday or Sunday the

Backups will not restart after Friday if the start day is Friday.

I setup individual media pools for NT-Daily, NT-Weekly, NT-Monthly and
NT-Yearly -

I have a very similar setup for the HP/UNIX systems on the same Veritas
Windows Master Server.

---------------------------------------

 Help with scheduling

Hi NBUers,

I'm trying to create a set of schedules for a policy as follows:

1) Full Backup, retention 1 year, every 3 months (1 time per quarter),
on the 1st Sunday of that month

2) Cum. Incr. every month, retention 2 months, on the 1st Sunday of that
month (excluding the month of the full)

3) Cum. Incr. every Sunday, retention 2 weeks (excluding the 1st Sunday
of that month)

4) Diff. Incr. every Mon - Sat, retention 1 week

Please, comment/critique on the design.

I'm writing to the list, however, to get advice/help on implementing
this.  What kind (Calendar/Frequency) of schedule works best for this
kind of thing?

--Errin