Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Storage Unit Groups consisting of Disk Staging Units?

2005-07-21 08:25:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Storage Unit Groups consisting of Disk Staging Units?
From: mlv03 AT healthresearch DOT org (Mike L. Varney)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:25:07 -0400
In v5.0 of NetBackup (MP5), I am prohibited from using a Storage Unit Group
of DSSUs.  The Admin Console lets me create the group and add the DSSUs,
but when I go to assign a job to that storage group, the group doesn't
appear in the pull-down box of units and groups.  My assumption is that for
some reason the server has barfed on my configuring the group like that and
thus doesn't give me the option of using that group.

My question is if anyone knows if this is allowed in either version 5.1 or
the (upcoming?) version 6?

The reason I'm looking to do this is that about a year ago we implemented
disk staging on all our backups.  However, when the images are duped to the
destination tape device, the duplicate job can only use 1 tape drive.  So,
my other drive sits idle all the time (as all my jobs are coming via the
DSSU).  My thought was if I split my DSSU in half to two storage units and
wrapped a group around them, I could send backups to the group while each
storage unit would have it's own duplicate jobs fired off, thus resulting
in the use of both tape drives.

Thanks for any insights...

-- Mike Varney / Health Research, Inc.