Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 ---->5.1 MP3A Upgrade

2005-07-21 01:14:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 4.5 ---->5.1 MP3A Upgrade
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:14:50 +0200
--=====================_4150921==_.ALT

We did something like you do except that we used a Dell 6450 and moved to
Del 2850 and our library is an L-series.
But I don't see why you should spend money on a Windows 2003 Enterprise
server. It will not give you anything extra compared to Windows 2003 server.

And the upgrade from 4.5 to 5.1 should normaly be very easy as long as you
don't change the hostnames of the NBU servers.

The only thing I think I would do a little different is that I would
implement the new library on the 4.5 installation and let it run for some days.

/johnny

At 16:16 20-07-2005 -0700, Steve.Bally AT radisys DOT com wrote:

>All,
>
>I am getting ready to do some hardware and software upgrades very soon and
>would like to pass my plan on and see if I can get some feedback and
>suggestions.
>
>The plan currently is to go from a Dell PE2650 win Windows 2000 Advanced
>server, NBU 4.5FP7a, running two (2) direct attached  PV136T's and 5 x SAN
>Media servers which have a SAN attached PV136T as well, to a SAN attached
>PE2850 running Win2k3 Enterprise edition with a StorageTek SL500 with LTO3
>drives and upgrading to NBU 5.1 MP3A.
>
>The steps that I was going to do is the following:
>
>Build the new server and configure NBU 4.5 FP7a on it
>Backup the current win2k master server configuration (catalog backup)
>Replace the server with the current tape hardware attached to it
>Create a test pool for media to perform testing on
>Recover the catalog and test, test, test
>After testing is completed upgrade master and the SAN media servers to 5.1
>Upgrade Master and SAN media servers to MP3
>More Testing - using the test pool
>Replace tape hardware, and more testing
>
>The fallback to this plan is the old server, and the old tape hardware
>
>I understand that this is kind of high level, but would really be
>interested with any problems or holes that are seen in my plan.
>
>TIA
>
>Steve Bally
>Systems Engineer
>RadiSys Corporation
>www.radisys.com
>steve.bally AT radisys DOT com
>Desk: 503-615-1207
>Cell: 503-970-6201
>
>This electronic message (Email) contains information which may be
>confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
>information is intended to be used solely by the named recipient(s). If
>you are not a named recipient, any review, disclosure, copying,
>distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If
>you have received this transmission (Email) in error, please notify me
>immediately.

--=====================_4150921==_.ALT

We did something like you do except that we used a Dell 6450 and moved to
Del 2850 and our library is an L-series.<br>
But I don't see why you should spend money on a Windows 2003 Enterprise
server. It will not give you anything extra compared to Windows 2003
server.<br><br>
And the upgrade from 4.5 to 5.1 should normaly be very easy as long as
you don't change the hostnames of the NBU servers.<br><br>
The only thing I think I would do a little different is that I would
implement the new library on the 4.5 installation and let it run for some
days.<br><br>
/johnny<br><br>
At 16:16 20-07-2005 -0700, Steve.Bally AT radisys DOT com wrote:<br><br>
very soon and would like to pass my plan on and see if I can get some
2000 Advanced server, NBU 4.5FP7a, running two (2) direct attached&nbsp;
PV136T's and 5 x SAN Media servers which have a SAN attached PV136T as
well, to a SAN attached PE2850 running Win2k3 Enterprise edition with a
StorageTek SL500 with LTO3 drives and upgrading to NBU 5.1 MP3A.</font>
backup)</font> <br>
it</font> <br>
servers to 5.1</font> <br>
Steve Bally<br>