Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Retired server and old media

2005-07-20 10:48:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Retired server and old media
From: thoke AT northpeak DOT org (Tim Hoke)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:48:13 -0500
Greg,

Does the tape exist in the volume database (vmquery -m)?
Does the tape have images in the imageDB (bpimmedia -m)?  If so, what
media server is listed?

bpmedia -movedb won't work cuz the old media server isn't there.  one
possibility would be to use the bpimage -oldserver -newserver... This
will skip the mediaDB work (since it's gone) and just change the
reference in the images database.    Another possibility is to use the
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER option to get the restore done.

One thing to keep in mind is that at some point, the tape will be
assigned (volDB) but there won't be any images left on it.  At this
point (AND ONLY AT THIS POINT), you can safely use the vmquery
-deassignbyid so that the tape can be reused.

HTH
-Tim