Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Flashbackup-Windows experiences ?

2005-07-18 16:00:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Flashbackup-Windows experiences ?
From: tburrell_mn AT yahoo DOT com (Tom Burrell)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
Michael,

We have been experimenting with Flashbackup on NBU 5.0
MP5 with excellent results!  We are backup 250 GB LUNS
with approx. 14 Million files each on SAN connected
Win2K3 servers, and cut backup time by about 50% with
no serious overhead on the server.

 Your milage may vary, of course:  lots of small files
will get better performance than a few large files.

I would talk to your sales rep about an eval license-
try before you buy.  Minimal risk to you, and if they
smell a sale they will help make sure that you get the
tech support you need!

Note: you may have already done this, but make sure
that you really have your infrastructure nailed first-
we have found that firmware, network settings and NBU
performance tuning really help too.

Tom Burrell
tburrell_mn AT yahoo DOT com

Hello All

As we have some windows file-servers which backup
performance are very poor.

We have been thinking about using Flashbackup-Windows,
so I would like to
hear others experiences with this.

At the moment we can only do full backup/restore with
Flashbackup-Windows,
but we don't Advanced Client License installed which
seem to be nessary.

Regards
Michael

--