Veritas-bu

RES: RES: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup clients with gigabit interface

2005-07-08 10:43:05
Subject: RES: RES: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup clients with gigabit interface
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 07:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- Edson Noboru Yamada <eyamada AT diveo.net DOT br> wrote:

> >weve got a large gig env.  our speeds for single
> >server/stream systems range from 20-50MB/sec.  our
> >older systems that have gig cards have slower disk
> so
> >thats a limiting factor in our shop.  we still have
> >100 and 10 systems and we try to dump those to
> avoid
> >eating tape drives with slow jobs (go to disk stu
> and
> > then tape).
>

> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Have you performed some kind of tuning to reach
> these rates
> (like jumbo frames, increased buffers size or amount
> or something like that) or just
> plugged and played?
>
> Although our efforts, we havent got anything higher
> than
> a disappoint 12 MB/s...
>
> Thank you
this is "out of the box" speeds for the most part.  we
have changed some settings on unix hosts and a few
windows server (tcp window sizes).  we are looking at
doing a vlan with jumbo frames turned on to see if
this may improve on things.  are you sure the speed
you are seeing is due to network and not disk/tape/other?

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html