Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbkar processes hung on CLOSE_WAIT on Linux

2005-07-07 16:54:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbkar processes hung on CLOSE_WAIT on Linux
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:54:33 -0700 (PDT)
> On researching I found multiple bpbkar processes hung.  They can not be
> killed with ANY signal (-9, -1, -15 etc... and yes I know the names
> SIGHUP, SIGTERM etc...).

That almost always indicates that the process made a system call that
did not return.

Have you tried strace on it?  I presume it will show nothing.  If you
can tell what system call it made, it may give an indication on what's
wrong.  Probably a kernel module or driver is hanging.

> lsof reveals all the sockets are in CLOSE_WAIT.  They all show the
> master server as the other side but on looking at the master the socket
> does not exist any longer.
>
> =20
>
> The CLOSE_WAIT means the other side has closed.   One would expect these
> to go away eventually but I have some that are more than a day old.

They only go away when the application closes from its side or exits.
The CLOSE_WAIT then is just another symptom of the bpbkar process being
hung.