Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrating Master Server from windows to solaris

2005-07-07 09:28:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrating Master Server from windows to solaris
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:28:57 -0500
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 06:11:17AM -0700, Ra pa wrote:
> We are planning to migrate our Win2003 master server running 5.1 MP3
> to a Solaris 9 master server.  This is a SSO environment with 5 media
> servers (4 Solaris, 1 win2003 (This server is master server also a
> media server) and an L700 controlled by the master server.  My
> ultimate goal is to find what are all the advantage and disadvantages.
> I need to explain to management.  Any small inputs also much
> appreciates. Also f any one provide how to do documents and
> procedures.Please help.

This is most definitely not supported and not for the faint at heart.
We did the migration from Windows to Solaris back on 3.4 (with a plain
text catalog) and there are a bunch of significant issues you need to
deal with.  It took us a couple of attempts before we got it right.
You'll run into interesting issues like a different line termination
between Windows and Solaris files so that you'll need to edit some
binary and text files.  These get even trickier if you have files over
2GB in size...

If you're really good with NetBackup and willing to do some hex dumps of
binary files, understand the formats, and write scripts to modify them, you
might be able to make it work.  There's at least an equal chance that
you'll blow up your NetBackup infrastructure to the point that you've
rendered all of your earlier backups unrecoverable without a tape import.

There have been rumors for a long time that Veritas might allow a
migration sometime in the future or at least rename the master server
host name.  Whether or not any of that made into 6.0 I don't know.

You should probably contact Veritas Professional Services and see what
they can do for you these days.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org