Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB51MP3 high cpu loads caused by bpdm?

2005-07-06 17:38:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB51MP3 high cpu loads caused by bpdm?
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:38:10 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings --

I am running NetBackup 5.1 MP3 on a Sun V240 and using Sun
StorEdge 3511 storage arrays with 6TB capacity for backups to
disk (not using the disk-staging configuration).  The OS is Solaris 9.
The backups are first written to the storage array and then staged
to tape using cron-script managed duplications so that I can use
backupid-files containing backupids having the same retentions to
minimize tape mounts.  My tape library is a Qualstar 88264 LTO2
library with 3 LTO2 drives.

To optimize read and write speeds the storage arrays, I alternate
directing all active backups to one storage array while staging
diskimages to tape from the other storage array.  I'm able to alternate
the active backup storage unit daily.

In order to complete all of the backups during typical non-workday
hours, I've set NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS to 24 and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS to 262144.

The backups are finishing in their configured windows, but the CPU load
is extremely high. The uptime commands shows a load of 25-40 all during
my backup windows and top shows the bpdm processes as using 1.0-1.4 percent
of the CPU.

I'm curious to see if there are others seeing high loads caused by
bpdm whis is used for both disk and disk-staging storage units.
I'd like to hear about how others are configuring NetBackup for
backups to disk, mostly regarding the size of the disk storage units,
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS, SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS, and number of concurrent jobs.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

--kathy