Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Java GUI on NB 5.1 MP3

2005-07-05 23:53:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Java GUI on NB 5.1 MP3
From: Dwayne.Brzozowski AT mail.va DOT gov (Brzozowski, Dwayne)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:53:09 -0500
 Kris,
what you want to do is real simple and there are a couple ways of
accomplishing this. To run the jnbSA gui off our master/media servers
without logging in as root on the gui, build an account for  yourself on the
master. In the auth.conf copy/paste(yyp) the line with root and change the
name root to your local login. The java gui authenticates locally when
access NB that way. As long as you have root perms in the auth.conf, you
never have to log in as root to the gui. Here's another trick. If you have a
unix box(HP,AIX,SUN)put it close to you, like on your desktop. Build an
account exactly the same as the account just built on your NB master.  Make
the desktop box a NB client and edit the auth.conf locally and add your
login name with the same perms that root has. You can now run the jnbSA gui
straight from the NB client without telnet/ssh and run an X display from the
master. Also, another way is to install the Windows Remote Admin Console to
your windows desktop box. That is on the NB Server cd for Windows with
Windows clients. You have to be in the local admin group on your intel box
to install/run this. Once that is done, add the pc name in the bp.conf using
the same syntax as the SERVER entry is. Also, it is real easy to limit, if
you want, access to the contents within the jnbSA gui using the auth.conf.
Hope that helps!

-Dwayne

Dwayne J. Brzozowski
Department of Veterans Affairs
Austin Automation Center
Team Lead-Open Systems Support
email:dwayne.brzozowski AT mail.va DOT gov
phone:512-326-6728