Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone using DataDomain as a backup-to-disk??

2005-07-05 12:47:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using DataDomain as a backup-to-disk??
From: scottroemmele AT quickenloans DOT com (Scott Roemmele)
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:47:46 -0400

--B_3203412467_1363332

Hello,

We=B9ve had very good success with our DataDomain appliances.   We starte=
using them initially for our Exchange backups, but added SQL backups to a=

2nd unit.
We have NBU 5.1 and found there to be very little changes in our
configurations or infrastructure .  The units were very easy to setup, wi=
th
minor changes to NBU.
We get about 6 weeks worth of our 750GB Exchange environment on a DD460 (=
4TB
physical disk capacity) unit.  As of this morning, we are getting 12:1
compression on it and it=B9s only 65% full.  That=B9s 25TB of backup data=
 on a
4TB physical disk array, and it=B9s only taking up 2.6TB.  We=B9ve also s=
tarted
putting our online SQL BD backups to a 2nd unit =AD DD200.   We have foun=
that the longer your retention period is to their devices, the better you=
compression will be globally.

As far as their service/support.   It=B9s been fantastic.   After they ar=
rived
on site to setup our first unit,  which was so easy,  they still insisted=
 on
coming back to setup our second unit.  There support unit is equally
fantastic.  The unit mails home a daily report with all sorts of performa=
nce
stats, if anything is not up to par,  they call you.  Their website also
takes the daily e-mail homes and compiles the compression info into a
charted trend/forecast reports =AD Very nice for upper management.   We=B9=
ve
experienced very little hardware problems, but when we have, they have be=
en
all over it. =20

When we looked at other disk2disk or VTL devices, there was nothing
comparable to these devices.  VTL=B9s required to much add on stuff like
proprietary software management layers and other disk arrays did not have=

this type of compression.  We were a bit skeptical about their compressio=
reports, but we found that it=B9s so optimized for Veritas=B9 backup imag=
es that
2gb images on the unit compress very nicely.  Again, the longer you keep =
it
online the better.  Finally, we duplicate those images to LTO2 tape durin=
the day and then vault them to offsite for DR purposes.

>From the restore side,  our admins didn=B9t have to learn anything new.  =
Their
restores are still done via the NBU console.  The only noticeable differe=
nce
is that their restores take roughly 1 1/2 hour from start to finish, vers=
us
waiting 2-4 hours to get the tapes back from offsite, then the added 6-8
hours of spinning the tapes once they have arrived onsite.

Scott Roemmele
Quicken Loans Inc.
SAN/DLC Team Leader
scottroemmele AT quickenloans DOT com

On 7/5/05 10:51 AM, "King, Cheryl" <cheryl.king AT intrado DOT com> wrote:

> We're looking at using DataDomain.  I would be interested in any feedba=
ck you
> get.  Thanks.
>=20
>=20
> From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
nd
> Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:17 AM
> To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Cc: Fredrik Dahlberg
> Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using DataDomain as a backup-to-disk??
>=20
> Hi all!
> =20
> Anyone using DataDomain disk array for backup-to-disk solution??
> What is your experience with this product? Does it works well?
> =20
> Anyone using backup-to-disk with oracle databases to a DataDomain array=
? How
> do you have this set up? How much compression do you get?
> How does there support work? Any other problems??
> =20
> Thanks in advance!!
> =20
> Best regards,
> =20
> MVH / Hampus Lind
> Rikspolisstyrelsen
> National Police Board
> Tele arb: +46 (0)8 - 401 99 43
> Tele mob: +46 (0)70 - 217 92 66
> E-mail: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se
> =20
> =20
>=20

Thanks,=20
Scott Roemmele
Phone:(734) 805-7437

Centralized Storage and Data Life Cycle Team
Quicken Loans, Inc.

The contents of  this e-mail may contain data that is confidential,
proprietary or "non-public personal information", as that term is defined=
 in
the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Thus the Confidential Information is disclose=
conditioned upon your agreement that you will treat it confidentially and=
 in
accordance with applicable law, ensure that such data isn't used or
disclosed except for the limited purpose for which it's being provided an=
will notify and cooperate with us regarding any requested or unauthorized=

disclosure or use of any Confidential Information. By accepting and
reviewing the Confidential Information you agree to indemnify us against =
any
losses or expenses, including attorney's fees that we may incur as a resu=
lt
of any unauthorized use or disclosure of this data due to your acts or
omissions. If a party other than the intended recipient receives this
e-mail, you are requested to instantly notify us of the erroneous deliver=
and return to us all data so delivered.

--B_3203412467_1363332

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using DataDomain as a backup-to-disk??</TI=

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'=
>Hello,<BR>
<BR>
We&#8217;ve had very good success with our DataDomain appliances. &nbsp;&=
nbsp;We started using them initially for our Exchange backups, but added =
SQL backups to a 2nd unit.<BR>
We have NBU 5.1 and found there to be very little changes in our configur=
ations or infrastructure . &nbsp;The units were very easy to setup, with =
minor changes to NBU.<BR>
We get about 6 weeks worth of our 750GB Exchange environment on a DD460 (=
4TB physical disk capacity) unit. &nbsp;As of this morning, we are gettin=
g 12:1 compression on it and it&#8217;s only 65% full. &nbsp;That&#8217;s=
 25TB of backup data on a 4TB physical disk array, and it&#8217;s only ta=
king up 2.6TB. &nbsp;We&#8217;ve also started putting our online SQL BD b=
ackups to a 2nd unit &#8211; DD200. &nbsp;&nbsp;We have found that the lo=
nger your retention period is to their devices, the better your compressi=
on will be globally.<BR>
<BR>
As far as their service/support. &nbsp;&nbsp;It&#8217;s been fantastic. &=
nbsp;&nbsp;After they arrived on site to setup our first unit, &nbsp;whic=
h was so easy, &nbsp;they still insisted on coming back to setup our seco=
nd unit. &nbsp;There support unit is equally fantastic. &nbsp;The unit ma=
ils home a daily report with all sorts of performance stats, if anything =
is not up to par, &nbsp;they call you. &nbsp;Their website also takes the=
 daily e-mail homes and compiles the compression info into a charted tren=
d/forecast reports &#8211; Very nice for upper management. &nbsp;&nbsp;We=
&#8217;ve experienced very little hardware problems, but when we have, th=
ey have been all over it. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
When we looked at other disk2disk or VTL devices, there was nothing compa=
rable to these devices. &nbsp;VTL&#8217;s required to much add on stuff l=
ike proprietary software management layers and other disk arrays did not =
have this type of compression. &nbsp;We were a bit skeptical about their =
compression reports, but we found that it&#8217;s so optimized for Verita=
s&#8217; backup images that 2gb images on the unit compress very nicely. =
&nbsp;Again, the longer you keep it online the better. &nbsp;Finally, we =
duplicate those images to LTO2 tape during the day and then vault them to=
 offsite for DR purposes.<BR>
<BR>
>From the restore side, &nbsp;our admins didn&#8217;t have to learn anythi=
ng new. &nbsp;Their restores are still done via the NBU console. &nbsp;Th=
e only noticeable difference is that their restores take roughly 1 1/2 ho=
ur from start to finish, versus waiting 2-4 hours to get the tapes back f=
rom offsite, then the added 6-8 hours of spinning the tapes once they hav=
e arrived onsite.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Scott Roemmele<BR>
Quicken Loans Inc.<BR>
SAN/DLC Team Leader<BR>
scottroemmele AT quickenloans DOT com<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 7/5/05 10:51 AM, &quot;King, Cheryl&quot; &lt;cheryl.king AT intrado DOT
com&=
gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT COLOR=3D=
"#0000FF"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">We're looking at using DataDomain. &nbsp;I=
 would be interested in any feedback you get. &nbsp;Thanks.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"100%"></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Tahoma"=
><B>From:</B> veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu [<a
>href=3D"mailto:=
veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu]">mailto:veritas-bu-admin@mailman=
=2Eeng.auburn.edu]</a> <B>On Behalf Of </B>Hampus Lind<BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:17 AM<BR>
<B>To:</B> veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<BR>
<B>Cc:</B> Fredrik Dahlberg<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> [Veritas-bu] Anyone using DataDomain as a backup-to-disk?=
?<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hi all!<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Anyone using DataDomain disk array for backup=
-to-disk solution??<BR>
What is your experience with this product? Does it works well? <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Anyone using backup-to-disk with oracle datab=
ases to a DataDomain array? How do you have this set up? How much compres=
sion do you get?<BR>
How does there support work? Any other problems??<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks in advance!!<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Best regards,<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">MVH / Hampus Lind<BR>
Rikspolisstyrelsen<BR>
National Police Board<BR>
Tele arb: +46 (0)8 - 401 99 43<BR>
Tele mob: +46 (0)70 - 217 92 66<BR>
E-mail: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D=
"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
<BR>
Thanks, <BR>
Scott Roemmele<BR>
Phone:(734) 805-7437<BR>
<BR>
Centralized Storage and Data Life Cycle Team <BR>
Quicken Loans, Inc.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></SPAN><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><=
SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10.0px'>The contents of &nbsp;this e-mail may con=
tain data that is confidential, proprietary or &quot;non-public personal =
information&quot;, as that term is defined in the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.=
 Thus the Confidential Information is disclosed conditioned upon your agr=
eement that you will treat it confidentially and in accordance with appli=
cable law, ensure that such data isn't used or disclosed except for the l=
imited purpose for which it's being provided and will notify and cooperat=
e with us regarding any requested or unauthorized disclosure or use of an=
y Confidential Information. By accepting and reviewing the Confidential I=
nformation you agree to indemnify us against any losses or expenses, incl=
uding attorney's fees that we may incur as a result of any unauthorized u=
se or disclosure of this data due to your acts or omissions. If a party o=
ther than the intended recipient receives this e-mail, you are requested =
to instantly notify us of the erroneous delivery and return to us all dat=
a so delivered.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>