Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] need to compare actual data with data that was backed up

2005-07-01 12:43:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] need to compare actual data with data that was backed up
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:43:42 -0500
On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:52:52AM -0500, Shawn_Coleman AT booksarefun DOT com
wrote:
> Does someone have an idea how I would go about setting up an automated
> process to check the amount of data in a location compared to the amount
> of data that was backed up to tape.

Although I think that technically this can be done, practically it can't
unless you're willing to completely quiesce the file system during the
backup and the verification process.  After all, what do you want to
happen if somebody adds or modifies a file between the time you checked
the backups and the time you checked for the sizes on disk?  What about
if somebody replaces a 100K file with a different 100K file?  Even files
like system logs will tend to grow to throw off your calculations.  Logs
on some systems will get purged or truncated during your backups or
could be between the backup and the verification test.

So, are willing to dismount the file systems and then do the backup and
verification before remounting them?

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org