Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] client with gigabit interface but with low performance

2005-06-30 07:19:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] client with gigabit interface but with low performance
From: eyamada AT diveo.net DOT br (Edson Noboru Yamada)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:19:15 -0300

Hi

In order to perform some tests, I've setup a machine with 2 Xeon cpus, 2GB RAM
and a gigabit
interface running Redhat Linux AS to act as a netbackup client (i'm using the
4.5 version, btw).
As a media manager, I have a Sun V480 with 4 cpus, 4 GB and, of course, a giga
interface as well.

Using a tool like iperf, I'm able to generate a traffic like 800 or 900 Mbps
between the two machines,
as expected. However, to my surprise, when I ask the media manager to start a
file system full
backup, the throughput does not increase more than 12 MBps (around 100 Mbps).
Both machines
were idle during the test.

Is this a normal situation? Any suggestion to improve the performance?

Thanks

Edson