Veritas-bu

RES: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.0 LTO's Gen 2

2005-06-22 12:45:26
Subject: RES: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.0 LTO's Gen 2
From: carlos_listas AT yahoo.com DOT br (Carlos Alberto Lima dos Santos)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:45:26 -0300
        Also check the /kernel/drv/st.conf file and verify the entries for
the tape driver are correct.

Symptom:
How to optimally performance-tune systems with IBM Linear Tape-Open 2 drives
(Linear Tape-Open generation 2 drives, IBM 3580 Ultrium-2)

Solution:

1. Hardware vendors suggest a 256 KB block size for maximum I/O to the IBM
Linear Tape-Open (LTO) generation 2 tape head.

   To do this, create the following file:
     /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
   and add this line:
     "262144."

2. You can also increase the number of data buffers (provided you have
sufficient system resources) by creating the following file:
     /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
   and increase the number from the default of 8 (to 16, 32, or 64 depending
on available system resources).

3. Additionally, refer to your hardware vendor or Sun, for information about
configuring the tape driver.

Note: As always, perform test backups and restores to ensure that you are
able to restore from backups created with any new settings before putting
the system back into production.

T+

Carlos Alberto Lima dos Santos
Eng. de Computação