Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] last image expiration date on a tape

2005-06-20 11:03:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] last image expiration date on a tape
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:03:51 -0500
--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

* Ellwood, MW (Mike) <M.W.Ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk> [2005-06-19 22:36]:
> Iain,
> =20
> I am slightly unclear what the problem is here, but as someone has mentio=
ned, you can
> manually expire individual images by backupid, using=20
> bpexpdate -d 0 -backupid <your-backup-id>
> =20
> Normally, Netbackup expires the whole tape when all the backups images on=
 the tape have naturally
> expired (at least, I've seen it doing it in the bperror log).
> =20
> However sometimes, in exceptional circumstances when I've had to manually=
 expire all the images on a tape,
> I have found that I also have to expire the tape, before I can use it, i.=
e.
> =20
> bpexpdate -d 0 -ev <my-tape-id>

This situaton is not as exceptional as you might think. We have come
across a problem where there are database inconsistencies that cause
bpexpdate to fail. If it does, you will not properly reclaim tapes. We
have been told by Veritas that common reasons for this are system
crashes, running bp.kill_all before /etc/init.d/netbackup stop, media
server being removed from the environment improperly and
other assorted issues.=20

If you try the following command and get similar output, you have the
same issues. If you do, PLEASE contact support. This uncovered a
situation where one media server was overwriting the tapes of a
different media server, destroying data.=20

# bpexpdate -deassignempty -force
Could not update media list, file read failed
file read failed

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com