Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [WIN-NBU] how to get client version

2005-06-14 23:07:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [WIN-NBU] how to get client version
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:07:50 -0500
--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

* Rolf C <rolfcolmer AT hotmail DOT com> [2005-06-13 13:16]:
> Hi there,
>=20
> Does anyone knows a command i can run on the Master Server to get the=20
> version information about a specific client? (like in the version.txt fil=
e)
>=20
> I've build a script that retrieves the client information about every=20
> client using bpgetconfig.exe but this does not give me the right version.
>=20
> As a matter of fact, here are two version.txt files. One is from a server=
=20
> running NB5.1MP3 and one is running NB5.1MP2. Yes they are the same. How =
do=20
> i determine the right version so i can generate a list with clients i nee=
d=20
> to upgrade?

That's exactly the problem with the way Veritas mismanages their
patches. You very often get bad information about version levels. You
can try using bpcoverage instead. That seems to give better information,
but it's still not guaranteed.=20

Another approach is to ask the question about "need to upgrade." You may
not necesssarily need to be exact in this regard. Are you looking to be
at the most current level of the software (not necessarily the best
idea), or are you simply trying to determine more or less where you are
relative to other systems. A common reason for this is finding older
clients that would no longer be supported if you upgraded the master
server (3.4 clients are not suppoted in a 5.1 environment).

The only way to be sure is to find out what build levels the binaries
are for a specific version and then check for that.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL