Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Aptare Storage Console vs. WysDM

2005-06-11 23:58:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Aptare Storage Console vs. WysDM
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:58:47 -0500
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:55:34AM -0400, Carlisle, D Renee wrote:
> We were ready to purchase Aptare and are now being asked to look at
> WysDM from SysDM because EMC uses it and we are an EMC shop.  I
> personally love Aptare and just want to order it.  Does anyone have
> any experience they can share on WysDM?

>From a *very* quick at the web site for WysDM, here are my quck
thoughts:
1. It uses a fat client (by the looks of the screenshots).
StorageConsole uses a web interface.  Fat clients are typically much
more of a pain to manage since you roll out new versions to all of your
managers that reguarly produce reports.
2.  WysDM claims to install in hours.  StorageConsole installs in
minutes.

Unfortunately, the web site doesn't say much about their product so it's
tough to do a good comparison.  Google doesn't find much about this
product other than press release, and in the last year or two, I have
not heard them mentioned on veritas-bu at all (unlike Aptare which has
recommendations coming from their customers every week or two).

If I were stuck in your shoes, I'd contact both vendors, ask for a
comparison to the other, and start documenting pros and cons.  It could
be that WysDM is a good product and will integrated well with the rest
of your company - I just don't have enough details on the product at
this point to tell you otherwise.

        .../Ed (a happy Aptare customer)

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA