Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [Summary]: Tape SAN + Data SAN

2005-06-09 13:39:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [Summary]: Tape SAN + Data SAN
From: matt.beal AT lightsurf DOT com (Matt Beal)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:39:04 -0700
There's a very good technical reason for keeping your SANs separate.
There are serious known incompatabilities between different HBAs, even
when both are used for tape. NetApp, for example, recommends not putting
any devices (except a library) on the same SAN as a NetApp, even if it
uses the same type of HBA. I've seen very bad things happen when a
NetApp and a Solaris box were on the same tape SAN, including system
crashes.

It all depends on your requirements; if uptime is critical to your
environment, you don't want to skimp on hardware.

matt