Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN

2005-06-09 08:09:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com> (Dean)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 22:09:13 +1000
------=_Part_1554_12450851.1118318953121

There's no problem having disk and tape I/O on the same fabric. Although=20
having a seperate fabric for tape gives you a bit more versatility, in that=
=20
you can make major changes to your tape SAN configuration without affecting=
=20
the disk at all.

But if you can, I do tend to agree with keeping disk and tape on seperate=
=20
HBAs. I have seen disk/tape on the same HBA working OK, but they were using=
=20
old DLT 7K tape drives, so not really pushing the HBA performance-wise.

On 6/8/05, Shyam Hazari <shazari AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>=20
> We are in the process of buying a STK tape library with LTO (Fiber)
> drives. I have two options.
>=20
> 1) use the existing SAN infrastructure to connect the tape drives. I
> don't have to buy any extra switches as I have plenty of available
> ports.
>=20
> or
>=20
> 2) buy extra switches.
>=20
> I would prefer to go with option 2. My question is , anyone using the
> existing SAN by mixing the tape libraries and the disk arrays ?
>=20
> TIA
>=20
> -Hazari
>=20

------=_Part_1554_12450851.1118318953121

There's no problem having disk and tape I/O on the same fabric.
Although having a seperate fabric for tape gives you a bit more
versatility, in that you can make major changes to your tape SAN
configuration without affecting the disk at all.<br>
But if you can, I do tend to agree with keeping disk and tape on
seperate HBAs. I have seen disk/tape on the same HBA working OK, but
they were using old DLT 7K tape drives, so not really pushing the HBA
ss=3D"gmail_sendername">Shyam Hazari</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shazari@gmai=
l.com">shazari AT gmail DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote
class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0p=
t 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
We are in the process of&nbsp;&nbsp;buying a STK tape library with LTO (Fib=
N infrastructure to connect the tape drives. I<br>don't have to buy any ext=
ra switches as I have plenty of available
 go with option 2.&nbsp;&nbsp;My question is , anyone using the<br>existing=
Hazari
ist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman DOT
eng.auburn=
.edu">Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mailman.en=
g.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu">
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu</a><br></blockquo=
te></div><br>

------=_Part_1554_12450851.1118318953121--