Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices

2005-05-25 09:07:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com> (Dean)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:07:48 +1000
------=_Part_27020_4092164.1117026468928

You're right, losing incrementals and file level restore can be a=20
disadvantage. I guess it depends what you're using VMWare for.

I've only seen it used for consolidation of low utilisation development and=
=20
test servers. For these systems, nightly "whole system snapshots" are=20
usually sufficient. Maybe you could even give developers access in VMWare t=
o=20
take snapshots of their virtual server, and restore it, and a bit of disk=
=20
space, so they can manage their own day-to-day testing related backups and=
=20
restores.=20

On 5/25/05, Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>=20
> Seems to me that just backing up the image file to each virtual
> machine gives you nothing in the way of incremental backups. This may
> be fine if you're only using vmware as a consolidation platform for
> small servers, but strikes me as wasteful if you do anything large on
> it. Also, you'd lose the ability to recover individual files from
> inside the instance without recovering the whole thing, starting an
> instance using it, and then extracting the files. (or ... i forget ...
> does vmware ship with a utility to loopback mount the image files and
> manipulate the files in them?)
>=20
> -Charlie
>=20
> On 5/25/05, Svein Ingve Wik <SWik AT oslo.westerngeco.slb DOT com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've started to look at VMware, it seems like a nice platform.
> >
> > Isn't enough just to backup the image file of each virtual machine?
> >

> > Rgds,
> >
> > Svein Ingve
> >

> > At 07:28 25.05.2005, you wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We also backup VMWare, but we just use one agent per host. All VMs are
> > suspended by script before being backed up. This is done using the
> > bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts. These call a subscript which
> > actually suspends the VMs. This method works fine and recoverability is
> > good.
> >
> > We are investigating the option of installing a SAN Media server=20
> instance
> > on each VMWare host. This would facilitate the host to backup directly=
=20
> > tape, using its own HBA instead of streaming the data to a Media Manage=
> > first.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Kaspar Bosma
> > System Enigeer
> >
> > ________________________________

You're right, losing incrementals and file level restore can be a disadvant=
age. I guess it depends what you're using VMWare for.<br>
I've only seen it used for consolidation of low utilisation development
and test servers. For these systems, nightly &quot;whole system snapshots&q=
uot;
are usually sufficient. Maybe you could even give developers access in
VMWare to take snapshots of their virtual server, and restore it, and a
bit of disk space, so they can manage their own day-to-day testing
related backups and restores. <br>
me">Charles Ballowe</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cballowe AT gmail DOT
com">cballowe@=
gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"b=
order-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; paddin=
g-left: 1ex;">
Seems to me that just backing up the image file to each virtual<br>machine =
gives you nothing in the way of incremental backups. This may<br>be fine if=
 you're only using vmware as a consolidation platform for<br>small servers,=
 but strikes me as wasteful if you do anything large on
side the instance without recovering the whole thing, starting an<br>instan=
ce using it, and then extracting the files. (or ... i forget ...<br>does vm=
ware ship with a utility to loopback mount the image files and
 Ingve Wik &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:SWik AT oslo.westerngeco.slb DOT
com">[email protected]=
sp;&nbsp;We've started to look at VMware, it seems like a nice platform.
.2005, you wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Hi,
t per host. All VMs are<br>&gt; suspended by script before being backed up.=
 This is done using the<br>&gt; bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts. Th=
ese call a subscript which
ion of installing a SAN Media server instance<br>&gt; on each VMWare host. =
This would facilitate the host to backup directly to
&nbsp;________________________________
.eng.auburn.edu">veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br>&gt;
[mailt=
o:<a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu">veritas-bu-adm=
in AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
mei 2005 20:27<br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;Aan: <a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu@mailman=
.eng.auburn.edu">veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu</a><br>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;O=
nderwerp: [Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices
ces of VMWare clients.&nbsp;&nbsp;We<br>&gt; have been told by Veritas that=
 we can purchase one agent to backup all<br>&gt; instances.&nbsp;&nbsp;VMWa=
re is saying that we will need a client for each virtual
______________________________<br>Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nb=
sp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">
Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.aubu=