Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk staging & duplication NBU 5

2005-05-23 12:16:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk staging & duplication NBU 5
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:16:01 -0400
Gang,

    Anyone know how to enable the 'multiple copies' option when working with
disk-staging devices in NBU 5? I'd like to be able to duplicate my data into
two separate library units - 1 for offsite storage, and 1 for local storage
with a shorter retention period, both with different pools (*-short,
*-offsite) .

    currently, we do this at a Policy/Schedule level with "multiple copies"
option. That is, we have 1 policy/schedule for say "weekly" backups, and we
create two copies:
        Copy 1 - weekly-sort staging group
        Copy 2 - weekly-offsite staging group

    These groups then send their data to the "weekly-short" and
weekly-offsite tape pools.

    Unfortunately, this means that I need a LOT of local disk when I backup
my larger systems (for example, a 300 GB backup turns into 600GB due to the
duplication to the two staging groups) - Disk is cheap, but it seems to me
that there's got to be a better way.

    In digging around I noticed that the staging units themselves have a
multiple-copy option, but I can't figure out what the requirements are to
enable it. THAT would be a much better option, IMHO - as data enters a
single staging group, then goes to the separate tape pools.

    Can anyone tell me what's required to get this option available? Is
there a better/easier/faster way to do this (groups perhaps?) that I just
don't know about, can't see, or am too dense to figure out? :)

    Thanks,

    -Jeff
--
Jeff McCombs                 |                                    NIC, Inc
Systems Administrator        |                       http://www.nicusa.com