Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?

2005-05-18 23:29:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?
From: tlewick AT hrblock DOT com (Lewick, Taylor)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:29:49 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55C23.0B4BEAD8

I smell a vendor partnership...

________________________________

From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu on behalf of David Rock
Sent: Wed 5/18/2005 5:13 PM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

How many times have you been asked this question?

 "What are we NOT backing up?"
   or the ever popular,
 "What do you mean we're not backing up clientA?!? Didn't you know we
 added it last month?"

Usually, this is being asked by someone that doesn't understand the
question, or the amount of pain you have to go through to get the
answer. You could do a bpcoverage, but that is time-consuming and
doesn't tell you anything about clients you don't know about at all.

We just got a look at Aptare's new Discovery module for Storage Console
and it looks like it addresses these and other questions. It's using
bpcoverage, but it's also pulling different data from SNMP and other
sources to give an overall picture of what's out there that you don't
know about because department X didn't think to tell you. Which, of
course, won't matter when they ask for a restore on a box you aren't
backing up.

It definitely has some potential. I would recommend getting a
livemeeting with Aptare to take a look at it if you are in an
environment where what you don't know CAN hurt you. ;-)

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55C23.0B4BEAD8

charset=3Diso-8859-1">=0A=
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">=0A=
<HTML>=0A=
<HEAD>=0A=
=0A=
6.5.7226.0">=0A=
<TITLE>[Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?</TITLE>=0A=
</HEAD>=0A=
<BODY>=0A=
<DIV id=3DidOWAReplyText33321 dir=3Dltr>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I smell a =
vendor =0A=
partnership...</FONT></DIV></DIV>=0A=
<DIV dir=3Dltr><BR>=0A=
<HR tabIndex=3D-1>=0A=
<FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2><B>From:</B> =
veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu on =0A=
behalf of David Rock<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wed 5/18/2005 5:13 PM<BR><B>To:</B> =0A=
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Veritas-bu] What =
are you =0A=
NOT backing up?<BR></FONT><BR></DIV>=0A=
<DIV>=0A=
<P><FONT size=3D2>How many times have you been asked this =0A=
question?<BR><BR>&nbsp;"What are we NOT backing up?"<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; or =
the ever =0A=
popular,<BR>&nbsp;"What do you mean we're not backing up clientA?!? =
Didn't you =0A=
know we<BR>&nbsp;added it last month?"<BR><BR>Usually, this is being =
asked by =0A=
someone that doesn't understand the<BR>question, or the amount of pain =
you have =0A=
to go through to get the<BR>answer. You could do a bpcoverage, but that =
is =0A=
time-consuming and<BR>doesn't tell you anything about clients you don't =
know =0A=
about at all.<BR><BR>We just got a look at Aptare's new Discovery module =
for =0A=
Storage Console<BR>and it looks like it addresses these and other =
questions. =0A=
It's using<BR>bpcoverage, but it's also pulling different data from SNMP =
and =0A=
other<BR>sources to give an overall picture of what's out there that you =0A=
don't<BR>know about because department X didn't think to tell you. =
Which, =0A=
of<BR>course, won't matter when they ask for a restore on a box you =0A=
aren't<BR>backing up.<BR><BR>It definitely has some potential. I would =
recommend =0A=
getting a<BR>livemeeting with Aptare to take a look at it if you are in =0A=
an<BR>environment where what you don't know CAN hurt you. =
;-)<BR><BR>--<BR>David =0A=
Rock<BR>david AT graniteweb DOT com<BR></FONT></P></DIV>=0A=
=0A=
</BODY>=0A=
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C55C23.0B4BEAD8--