Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?

2005-05-18 18:13:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What are you NOT backing up?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:13:43 -0500
--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

How many times have you been asked this question?

 "What are we NOT backing up?"
   or the ever popular,
 "What do you mean we're not backing up clientA?!? Didn't you know we
 added it last month?"

Usually, this is being asked by someone that doesn't understand the
question, or the amount of pain you have to go through to get the
answer. You could do a bpcoverage, but that is time-consuming and
doesn't tell you anything about clients you don't know about at all.=20

We just got a look at Aptare's new Discovery module for Storage Console
and it looks like it addresses these and other questions. It's using
bpcoverage, but it's also pulling different data from SNMP and other
sources to give an overall picture of what's out there that you don't
know about because department X didn't think to tell you. Which, of
course, won't matter when they ask for a restore on a box you aren't
backing up.

It definitely has some potential. I would recommend getting a
livemeeting with Aptare to take a look at it if you are in an
environment where what you don't know CAN hurt you. ;-)

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx