Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 41

2005-05-13 09:17:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 41
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:17:28 -0400
FWIW, I think I may have started one of the threads about it.

I'm also running 5.0MP3 on a V880...with Solaris 8.

We recently starting getting recurring 41s on 2 machines (Citrix
Metaframe servers, specifically)...one more often than the
other...usually about 3 times a week on one, and once every other week
on the other.

Turns out both machines were running NIC teaming, in an active/standby
configuration.

The Windows server dude updated both machines to the latest NIC and NIC
teaming drivers last Sunday, April 30th, or whatever, and we haven't had
a 41 since...(knock on wood.)

If your machines are not running NIC teaming, it may be that there is a
lot of data on the machine, but little deltas, so the machine is busy
looking for files that have changed, and not replying to the backup
server within the timeout period.

If that is the case, it can be remedied by increasing the
CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT value in your bp.conf on the server.
I'm at 2400 right now, which I boosted in an attempt to clean up this
issue on my two clients, but turned out to be the NIC teaming.

The NIC teaming problem is a known issue....in an active/standby config,
the 41 is common, as the NICs failover during the backup.
In and active/active config, terrible throughput is common....
My clients had NIC drivers dated 2002, and NIC teaming driver dated
2001.

Paul