Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore of Windows to different hardware

2005-05-12 13:25:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore of Windows to different hardware
From: ray.schafer AT veritas DOT com (Ray Schafer)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:25:01 -0700
I think Javier is talking about BMR for UNIX.  It only takes one reboot.
The Windows BMR restore takes several reboots, but they are all
automated.  If you turn your back, you'll never know they happened
except for the one that requires that you remove the boot media (floppy
or CD) before proceeding.

You are completely wrong about the fact that BMR needs to recover to the
same hardware.  We have worked many, many, man years to get this to
work, there are several patents pending on the process we use.

As of BMR 4.6 (two years ago) VERITAS BMR is able to go from any to any
hardware - no restrictions whatsoever - incompatible HALS, different
Mass Storage Drivers, different processors or number of processors,
everything can be different.

But, to do a dissimilar system restore (going from a DL360 to DL380 is
dissimilar) you must edit the config to change the drivers or it will
not work.  However editing the config is done on the BMR Main Server -
the systems being recovered do not even need to be around when the
config is edited.  This allows you to decide onto which hardware you
want to recover your system after your system has died.  It is very
flexible.