Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best way to backup 3TB of data daily?

2005-05-11 22:16:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best way to backup 3TB of data daily?
From: Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:16:19 -0500
Definitely better to keep your tape drives spinning. I've reduced thenumber of
drives each of my media servers is allowed to use forbackups because I can
stream drives at 50-60M/sec, but with a singleGB connection and doing inline
tape copy, I can't really feed morethan one pair of drives. So each of my media
servers is given 2drives. There's other bottle necks with things like a 33 MHz,
32bitpci bus on one of the older servers that limit me to about 40MB/s
fromnetwork and to 2 tape drives before the bus is saturated on thatsystem.
Another option if restore times are important to you, is to use a diskstaging
storage unit and then go from there off to tape without thenetwork involved.
Then you get the restore advantages of anon-multiplexed backup while still
streaming data to your tapes andtaking in data from your network at a
reasonable rate.
-Charlie