Veritas-bu

Subject: [Veritas-bu] san attached

2005-05-11 09:48:07
Subject: Subject: [Veritas-bu] san attached
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:48:07 -0400
Our environment is predominantly UNIX with a few Windows media servers
thrown in.  We were operating fine until another group wanted to add
some Win 2003 servers.  After the Windows 2003 servers were added, the
UNIX servers, and the HPUX servers in particular, started having
problems.  The main symptom was tape mounts taking significantly longer
-- over 10 minutes, compared to about 1.5 minutes.

In  short, the problem turned out to be Windows sending out TEST UNIT
READY requests to the shared drives every second.  After working with MS
and Veritas, they found a registry hack to disable the TUR for the tape
drives.  It's article id 842411 at support.microsoft.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842411

<opinionated_rant>If it were up to me, there'd be no Windows servers
here, or they'd be clients to UNIX media servers.  Sometimes I get the
impression that windows just assumes that any devices attached to it are
dedicated to it.  In some ways, MS needs to learn the lessons we all
learned as children...how to share, how to play nicely with others, and
stop trying to run the playground.</opinionated_rant>