Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] workarounds for max filesystem size limit

2005-05-11 00:50:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] workarounds for max filesystem size limit
From: michael AT michaelbarrow DOT name (Michael L. Barrow)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:50:44 -0700
Jon D. Benson wrote:
> As always, I appreciate the insight of the group.

As Mark mentioned, you need to split up the filelist. I have a script
that I wrote called "nbusplit" based on "chopit.pl" that allows you to
split a filesystem into equally-sized chunks. Unlike the original, you
can specify the number of chunks you want or the size of each of your
chunks.

Check the archives for the details, but here's the readme:

nbusplit.pl
Michael L. Barrow (michael AT mlbarrow DOT com)
2003-11-08

This Perl script is used to split a directory or filesystem into sane-
sized pieces for backing up with Veritas Netbackup. It's based on chopit.pl
that's available on storagemountain.com, W. Curtis Preston's storage
information website.

The original program allowed the user to specify the total number of streams
and it would split the filesystem into that number of more or less equal
sized pieces. For our needs, we wanted to be able to specify the size of a
stream and have the program create however many streams of that size it
needed, so I went about modifying chopit.pl.

Other modifications that I made include:
        - Fixing the buildstreams() function making it up to 113 times
          faster than the original chopit.pl script
        - Allowing the user to give several pathnames all at once to
          include in a single includes file

This script has become invaluable in backing up large filesystems and
directories. I hope it's useful for others.

Here's a sample invocation that shows me asking the script to traverse
the C:\ directory to build streams of up to 4GB in size:

C:\>nbusplit.pl -f c:\temp\inc.txt -s 4g c:\
Splitting filesystem into Netbackup streams
Filesystem: c:\
Determining directory sizes..../
Total size to divide up is 4443014315

Building streams...|