Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Change Control with Netbackup Administration Console

2005-05-03 15:23:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Change Control with Netbackup Administration Console
From: jmeyer AT ptc DOT com (Jonathan Meyer)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:23:48 -0400
I wrote some scripts a while ago that track all changes under
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class with CVS version control.

The scripts are a bit kludgy, but they do track overall changes.

It works as follows.  At the beginning, I did a checkin of
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class into a CVS repository.  Every 24 hours I
run scripts that checkin any changed files into the repository and also
email the diffs of all the changed files to me.

The diffs of the raw files in the class database can be pretty hard to
read, but you get used to them.  If I really need to, I can checkout
files from the CVS repository for any previous day.

This system has turned out to be useful even with the following
deficiencies:

o The diffs of database files are hard to read.

o Changes are not attributed to users.

o If a file is changed and then put back to its original state within
        24 hours the change may not be recorded.

If I was going to do it all over again, I think I would run bppllist -U
daily for every class, and than track changes to that output with
version control.  I think the diffs showing changes would be much more
human readable, but I have not actually tried this approach.

Overall, this is a very deficient area with netbackup.  With the
increasing legal and audit requirements for data protection, I would
expect some commercial products to move into this space.  Change
tracking for configuration changes should be included in the core
netbackup product, but I don't know if this will happen.

-Jonathan

Yosifovski, Tammy wrote:
> Mixed environment:
>
> Netbackup 4.5.3, 4.5.7 & 4.5
> Windows 2000 and Solaris 8
>
> Does anyone perform audit changes or change control on/within
> Netbackup?  IE If someone was to make a time execution change within a
> policy is that captured or reported some how to alert the other
> Netbackup Engineers/Administrator?  If you do this how are you doing
> this?  Via a scripts, third party product or external spreadsheet/doc
> tracking?  Does anyone know if this feature exist in later versions of
> Netbackup?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> */Tammy Yosifovski/*//
> Systems Engineer - UNIX and Storage Services
> USF Technology Services

Jonathan Meyer
(781)370-6594
UNIX Systems Administrator