Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Scratch Pool Usage

2005-05-03 13:17:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Scratch Pool Usage
From: Bobby.Williams AT gtsi DOT com (Bobby Williams)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:17:47 -0400
Word of caution on this issue.  (Paul is correct, this is about what the end
result is going to be).

I don't know what type of storage array your E: drive is on or how big the
Client server is, but you are getting ready to suck to life out of the server.

If policy were to run (and it should after you perform Paul's advice), the E
drive will have 4 concurrent backups running off of it at the same time.

Now if you are on an EMC SAN  array, then okay.  If you are on a SCSI attached
cabinet on a single controller, then expect users to scream at you.

Not knowing the disk structure of the client system can get you into trouble
quickly.

You can set your policy to allow multiple data streams, but limit the jobs per
policy to only 1.  This will break the E drive into smaller chunks of backups.
You will get a higher success rate on getting the most data to the tape drives.

Also, (and it is a pet peeve of mine) MPX backups may seem to be running
quicker, but we back up to do restores.  MPX restores are doggedly slow.  Also,
a non-MPXed backup can be tarred off of a tape with gnu-tar.  An MPX tape has
to use NetBackup for a restore.

If you are going to do MPX, then it makes no sense (actually negates the
effort) to back up a single system to an MPX backup tape multiple times.

Bobby Williams
Sr. Systems Engineer
4250-A Benton Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37406