Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MySQL backups using Veritas Netbackup

2005-04-29 11:37:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MySQL backups using Veritas Netbackup
From: Steven.Jenner AT psinet.telstra.co DOT uk (Steven Jenner)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:37:27 +0100

------_=_NextPart_001_01C54CD1.286D3A88

Hi, I have been asked by a customer to provide a solution to backing up
a MySQL DB on a system running Fedora Core 3. As I have little knowledge
of MySQL I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions on best
practises to perform this function and also best way to then restore the
DB.

The customer does not want to dump the data to a flat file format as
they believe this would take a long time to restore, therefore they have
suggested shutting the DB down and then backing it up whilst it is in a
closed state; is this the best way forward?

If it is does anyone have any suggestions as to whether the Veritas
agent can set off a script shutting down the DB when the backup starts
and then starting it once it is complete.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C54CD1.286D3A88

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>MySQL backups using Veritas Netbackup</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi, I have been asked by a customer to =
provide a solution to backing up a MySQL DB on a system running Fedora =
Core 3. As I have little knowledge of MySQL I was wondering if anyone =
out there had any suggestions on best practises to perform this function =
and also best way to then restore the DB.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The customer does not want to dump the =
data to a flat file format as they believe this would take a long time =
to restore, therefore they have suggested shutting the DB down and then =
backing it up whilst it is in a closed state; is this the best way =
forward?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">If it is does anyone have any =
suggestions as to whether the Veritas agent can set off a script =
shutting down the DB when the backup starts and then starting it once it =
is complete.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks in advance,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Steve.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C54CD1.286D3A88--