Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] duplicating tapes for offsite storage

2005-04-21 06:30:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] duplicating tapes for offsite storage
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:30:52 +0100
--------------010406000507010003090308

Paul Keating wrote:

> What do most of you folks do?
> Use inline copy to write two tapes at once?
> Use Vault to create a second copy during off (daytime) hours?
> One copy, and retain onsite for a week or two to meet SLA, then ship
> offsite for reminder of retention period??
>
> Paul

I have various methods employed depending on when i set the system up
for each customer we host :)

The first method is having a separate policy which does full backups
each night of key folders required to rebuild a DR site. The tapes used
in this pool are identified by some scripts i have which check all the
DR clients have been backed up etc. This tape list is removed and sent
of site daily, with a 1 week retention.

Another project i have does the same but has daily off site incremental
and fulls. This i fear is a bad way to go as it's going to interfere
with the normally daily incremental and weekly fulls. Im not 100% sure
how netbackup deals with multiple policies or multiple incremental
backing up the same files.

The latest way i have gone which i think is the best is use ITC to a
separate tape pool. This does indeed copy what you do for normal backups
and so everything you need for DR backups you need to have on normal
backups. This seems best as it doesnt mess with file times and doesnt
hit the network twice for file transfers. The only issue with this is
when restoring you need to change system to look at the second tape copy
instead of the normal one. This is done with :

    * *bpchangeprimary -copy 2 -sl <schedule> -cl <client> -sd
      mm/dd/yyyy ( -ed mm/dd/yyyy )* - /This changes copy 2 (i.e the
      offsite copy from an ITC job) to be the primary copy. The primary
      copy is what netbackup uses to do its restores from. this e.g is
      for a client and has start date and end date and schedule shown./

Thats just a note from my blog. theres other options to the command to
suit your needs. Below is helpful for verification of this :-

      -cn 2 -client <client>* - /This will give the output as the gui
      does for showing info on a client between dates of an image which
      is copy number 2. The last field on the output is 0 or 1. 0 = not
      the primary copy. 1 = is set to primary copy. Can use this to
      check before and after you use bpchangeprimary. Other options can
      be used such as -sl <schedule> instead of/aswell as -client/

To identify these ITC tapes which have been backed up to send off site
i do the following :-

    *bpimagelist -hoursago <number> | awk '$2==2 {print $9}' | sort |
    uniq  *

This is wrapped in a script with various variables and other things to
check jobs are not running and has a failsafe hour etc etc.

hope this helps
Dave

--------------010406000507010003090308

<head>
</head>
Paul Keating wrote:
 cite="mid4A14D0A1A982B04B8DFC50EBDB81D0A2021720C9 AT
BOC-EXMAIL1.bocad.bank-banque-canada DOT ca"
 type="cite">
  <title>Message</title>
copy, and retain onsite for a week or two to meet SLA, then ship
I have various methods employed depending on when i set the system up
for each customer we host :)<br>
The first method is having a separate policy which does full backups
each night of key folders required to rebuild a DR site. The tapes used
in this pool are identified by some scripts i have which check all the
DR clients have been backed up etc. This tape list is removed and sent
of site daily, with a 1 week retention.<br>
Another project i have does the same but has daily off site incremental
and fulls. This i fear is a bad way to go as it's going to interfere
with the normally daily incremental and weekly fulls. Im not 100% sure
how netbackup deals with multiple policies or multiple incremental
backing up the same files.<br>
The latest way i have gone which i think is the best is use ITC to a
separate tape pool. This does indeed copy what you do for normal
backups and so everything you need for DR backups you need to have on
normal backups. This seems best as it doesnt mess with file times and
doesnt hit the network twice for file transfers. The only issue with
this is when restoring you need to change system to look at the second
tape copy instead of the normal one. This is done with :<br>
<ul>
  <li><b>bpchangeprimary -copy 2 -sl &lt;schedule&gt; -cl
&lt;client&gt; -sd mm/dd/yyyy ( -ed mm/dd/yyyy )</b> - <i>This
changes copy 2 (i.e the offsite copy from an ITC job) to be the primary
copy. The primary copy is what netbackup uses to do its restores from.
this e.g is for a client and has start date and end date and schedule
shown.</i></li>
</ul>
Thats just a note from my blog. theres other options to the command to
suit your needs. Below is helpful for verification of this :-<br>
<ul>
  <li><b>bpverify -PD -M &lt;master server&gt; -X -s &lt;start date&gt;
-e &lt;end date&gt; -cn 2 -client &lt;client&gt;</b> - <i>This
will give the output as the gui does for showing info on a client
between dates of an image which is copy number 2. The last field on the
output is 0 or 1. 0 = not the primary copy. 1 = is set to primary copy.
Can use this to check before and after you use bpchangeprimary. Other
options can be used such as -sl &lt;schedule&gt; instead of/aswell as
-client</i>
  </li>
</ul>
To identify these ITC tapes which have been backed up to send off site&nbsp;
i do the following :-<br>
$9}' | sort | uniq&nbsp; </b><br>
This is wrapped in a script with various variables and other things to
check jobs are not running and has a failsafe hour etc etc.<br>
hope this helps<br>
Dave<br>

--------------010406000507010003090308--