Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Assigning tapes. | NBU51

2005-04-21 05:02:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Assigning tapes. | NBU51
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com> (Dean)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:02:42 +1000
------=_Part_690_30838583.1114074162414

Marek

It's because the media manager volume database does not follow the stunit's=
=20
as they move around the cluster. if the AppA stunit is on SysA, and then=20
moves to SysB, the volume database will stay behind on SysA. The AppA stuni=
t=20
will now use SysB's media database.

To make this work, you would have to make the media servers themselves=20
clustered resources. But I don't know if this is possible. What if AppA and=
=20
AppB, and therefore NBUA and NBUB, are on the same node? You'll have two=20
instanaces of NetBackup, two volume databases.

Cheers,
Dean

On 4/21/05, Marek Gorka <marek.gorka AT sun DOT com> wrote:
>=20
> hello everybody.
>=20
> i've found an issue that is a problem to me in the current environment bu=
> i'm not aware if this is a feature or a bug or a misconfiguration.
>=20
> i have 5 sso media servers running logical applications. there's cluster
> environment configured for those apps, so they can switchover to any of=
=20
> the
> 5 nodes. nbu media servers are of course not inside the cluster.
>=20
> the case is as follows:
>=20
> appsA having its binary files backed up to nbu volume pool SYS. appsA
> running on node A.
>=20
> appsB having its binary files backed up to nbu volume pool SYS. appsB
> running on node B.
>=20
> of course as this is SSO i'm using storage unit stuA for appsA and stuB=
=20
> for
> appsB. the storage unit stuA is configured via appsA IP, stuB configured=
=20
> via
> appsB IP -> so when i switch appsB to any cluster node in the cluster the
> storage unit is still accessible and still points to local drives, so the
> sso can be used.
>=20
> both appsA and appsB use the same nbu volume pool and the same retention
> policy. they are backed up in one session, no multistreaming no=20
> multiplexing.
>=20
> could anyone explain why appsA backs up to tape 1 in volume pool SYS and
> appsB to tape 2 in the same pool? why do the not back up to the same tape=
?
> the backup windows for these backups are separate.
>=20
> is it a bug or a feature? i would like to have these backups on the same=
=20
> tape.
>=20
> thanks in advance.
>=20
> --
> Marek Gorka
> Client Solutions
> Sun Microsystems Poland

------=_Part_690_30838583.1114074162414

Marek<br>
It's because the media manager volume database does not follow the
stunit's as they move around the cluster. if the AppA stunit is on
SysA, and then moves to SysB, the volume database will stay behind on
SysA. The AppA stunit will now use SysB's media database.<br>
To make this work, you would have to make the media servers themselves
clustered resources. But I don't know if this is possible. What if AppA
and AppB, and therefore NBUA and NBUB, are on the same node? You'll
have two instanaces of NetBackup, two volume databases.<br><br>
Cheers,<br>
Dean<br>
me">Marek Gorka</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marek.gorka AT sun DOT
com">marek.gorka@=
sun.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"bor=
der-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-=
left: 1ex;">
hello everybody.<br><br>i've found an issue that is a problem to me in the =
current environment but<br>i'm not aware if this is a feature or a bug or a=
 misconfiguration.<br><br>i have 5 sso media servers running logical applic=
ations. there's cluster
 the<br>5 nodes. nbu media servers are of course not inside the cluster.<br=
 to nbu volume pool SYS. appsA
SSO i'm using storage unit stuA for appsA and stuB for<br>appsB. the storag=
e unit stuA is configured via appsA IP, stuB configured via
r the<br>storage unit is still accessible and still points to local drives,=
lume pool and the same retention
exing.<br><br>could anyone explain why appsA backs up to tape 1 in volume p=
ool SYS and<br>appsB to tape 2 in the same pool? why do the not back up to =
the same tape?
r a feature? i would like to have these backups on the same tape.<br><br>th=
ystems Poland
nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu=
">Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.au=
burn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu">
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu</a><br></blockquo=
te></div><br>