Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] random Error 41 on same machine

2005-04-19 09:19:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] random Error 41 on same machine
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:19:46 -0400
--=_alternative 0049389E85256FE8_=

In my experience "41" errors are usually caused by NIC settings being
mismatched.
For example if a Sun box to Cisco switch be sure you have 100FDX NO
autonegotiate.

=============================
Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
04/19/2005 08:33 AM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc

Subject
RE: [Veritas-bu] random Error 41 on same machine

Well, turns out I've still got the issue, with CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT =
2400

Still looking for suggestions.

Since it's only one machine that is having this issue, maybe I'll crank
it up to 7200 and see what happens.

Paul

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.

--=_alternative 0049389E85256FE8_=

are usually caused by NIC settings being mismatched.</font>
be sure you have 100FDX NO autonegotiate.</font>
Carl Stehman<br>
PHI Services Company<br>
202-331-6619<br>
Pager 301-765-2703<br>
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com</font>
&lt;pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca&gt;</b> </font>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>
edu&gt;</font>
same machine</font></table>
CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT
=<br>
2400<br>
Still looking for suggestions.<br>
Since it's only one machine that is having this issue, maybe I'll crank<br>
it up to 7200 and see what happens.<br>
Paul<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu <br>
&gt; [mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of <br>
&gt; Paul Keating<br>
&gt; Sent: April 14, 2005 2:29 PM<br>
&gt; To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] random Error 41 on same machine<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It's a possibility, but 7200 is 120 minutes, or 2 hours!!<br>
&gt; Isn't that a little excessive??<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Right now I'm set at 600....The avg successfull cumulative backup
on<br>
&gt; that machine is 15 minutes.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Maybe I'll try bumping it up to 1200 or 2400 and see how it goes from<br>
&gt; there. ;o)<br>
&gt; I see a few posts on the netbackup newsgroups suggesting 30 minutes.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; If the machine is puking, and isn't going to push data, I'd <br>
&gt; rather have<br>
&gt; it time out on a cumulative once or twice a week, than hold <br>
&gt; onto a drive<br>
&gt; for 2 hours, and push the backup window long.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks for your input.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Paul<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; &gt; From: denis [mailto:denis AT kapusta DOT com] <br>
&gt; &gt; Sent: April 14, 2005 2:26 PM<br>
&gt; &gt; To: Paul Keating<br>
&gt; &gt; Cc: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<br>
&gt; &gt; Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] random Error 41 on same machine<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; My guess you have lots of data, and most likely incr. backup
&gt; &gt; times out while <br>
&gt; &gt; looking for the files to backup. Increase your time-out by <br>
&gt; &gt; adding following <br>
&gt; &gt; to bp.conf<br>
&gt; &gt; CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT = 7200<br>
&gt; &gt; 7200 is seconds <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Paul Keating writes: <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Anyone get random timeouts on the same machine?<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &nbsp;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; I have one machine in my environment that fails with <br>
&gt; error 41 every<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; couple of nights.<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; It seems the FULL on the weekend always finishes ok, and
&gt; if I run a<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; manual on it during the day it's fine, but the scheduled
&gt; &gt; cumulative dies<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; every other night or so.<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &nbsp;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; client is Win2k SP5 (Citrix Metaframe) running NB 5.0 MP3<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Master is Solaris 8 running same.<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &nbsp;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Paul<br>
&gt; &gt; &nbsp;<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu<br>
&gt; http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>