Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk storage staging unit groups, anyone?

2005-04-14 19:54:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk storage staging unit groups, anyone?
From: Tim Berger <tim.berger AT gmail DOT com> (Tim Berger)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:54:57 -0700
We're on nbu 5.1 MP2.

I am curious about the behavior of disk storage staging unit groups
with respect to when a storage unit is chosen and when staging space
is freed up.

I am interested in setting up a staging group consisting of several
disk staging storage units, but I don't want space freed up if there
is still space free on storage units in the group.

Humm.  Is anyone out there doing this?

I suspect that I'm out of luck.  The docs state that the "first
available" storage unit is selected, which probably means that a full
but inactive disk staging storage unit will be chosen.

I suppose an alternative to this would be making really big staging
storage units with lvm or some such; or take more care when assigning
clients to policies and policies to staging storage units.

Thanks.
--
-Tim