Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] dedicated backup network

2005-04-13 16:37:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] dedicated backup network
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:37:43 -0400
I should clarify.....The NB master server and other large servers (mail,
central file servers) are all connected to one VLAN on one switch.

That VLAN is routed to/from all other prod networks, so any other
machines we backup route over prodcution into this "Backup VLAN"

Not a separate physical network, but semi-private.

For you guys running private GigE backup LANs....what kind of throughput
are you getting from windows clients to your backup server?

I'm maxing out at about 60MB/s for mail (backing up full SG.....small
number of big files)
And about 40ish MB/s for file servers (large number of small files)

Paul