Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] compression calculation

2005-04-07 19:57:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] compression calculation
From: briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com (briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:57:02 -0500
I have time as a vendor and a user.  Compression is very dependent on your
data.  Plan on a 1.6:1 compression ratio as an average for budgeting purposes.
Companies that do mass mailings skew the numbers up to a 9:1 ratio and the
vendors average this to be a 3:1 ratio.

By the end of the day, it is simple math.  Use your goodies directory and
available_media scripts to do math on full tapes to determine your companies
compression ratio.

I have never failed with a 1.6:1 ratio.  It appears low, but is usually
accurate for most shops.

Brian