Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] snapmirrored volumes question

2005-04-03 03:49:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] snapmirrored volumes question
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 23:49:14 -0800
The thing about a snapmirror *volume* is that the entire thing is
read-only.  Unlike a volume of qtree snapmirror's where the volume is
read-write but the qtrees are read-only.  This means no snapshots can be
taken of a snapmirror'd volume.  At least I'm pretty sure that's the way
it goes.  If not someone will speak up.

As for backup speed, it's pretty dependent.  Even though NBU does not
multi-plex NDMP (there's nothing specific to NDMP that prevents it from
doing so, simply Veritas' *inability* to make it so) a single volume can
easily flood gigabit, so a tape drive is child's play to drown.
That being said, a filer's primary function is to serve data.  Any other
function is secondary and is always interrupted by said process.
However the filer can not differentiate between NFS traffic of one type
or another, so if you do backup over NFS it will get the same priority
as all other file serving processes.  Usually this means little but on a
very busy filer it can make a difference.
Of course that also means users suffer from poorer performance because
backups are eating into their process time but that's a case-by-case
call.

~JK