Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backups of NetApp Filer - NFS or 3-Way NDMP

2005-04-02 01:16:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backups of NetApp Filer - NFS or 3-Way NDMP
From: Tim Berger <tim.berger AT gmail DOT com> (Tim Berger)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:16:43 -0800
Since snapshots are read-only and netbackup always tries to reset file
access times, you'll need to put DO_NOT_RESET_FILE_ACCESS_TIME in
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf

That message should go away after this is changed.

As far as which one is better, I think it depends on the
circumstances.  If you have several qtrees and filesystems, managing
the creation on destruction of snapshots can become tricky without
NDMP due to the lack of detail (like the path or qtree) provided to
bpstart_notify and bpend_notify.  With NDMP, a snapshot is
automatically created for each qtree that gets backed up.  For this
situation, I'd recommend NDMP.  A big downside with NDMP is that
multiplexing is not supported.  For this reason, it may be difficult
to keep today's high-speed tape drives streaming with NDMP.  You'll
need to determine this for yourself with your environment/hardware.

Hope this helps.