Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Policy advice?

2005-03-31 12:01:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Policy advice?
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:01:36 -0500
Tim & other list readers

    Thanks for the advice. It's much appreciated. I think my precise problem
with the original setup was that I didn't understand the whole pool concept.
Took me awhile to figure out the best bar coding scheme too (speaking of,
does anyone have a MacOS X barcode printing app?)

    What I managed to come up with is the following;

    Weekly full backups duplicated into two sets;
            Set 1 - Pool 'Weekly-Short', kept for 2 weeks
            Set 2 - Pool 'Weekly-Offsite', kept for 1 month

    Daily Incrementals:
            Mon, Wed, Fri - Differential Incrementals. 14-day retention
            Sat, Tue, Thur - Cumulative Differentials - 14 day retention
            Set 1 - Pool "Daily-Short" kept for 1 week.
            Set 2 - Pool "Daily-Offsite" kept for 2 weeks.

    Monthly Full backups duplicated into two sets:
        Set 1 - Pool 'Monthly-Short' kept for 2 months
        Set 2 - Pool 'Monthly-Offsite' kept for 6 months

    Yearly Full backups, one set, sent into the 'Yearly-Offsite' pool.

    *short pool tapes are kept onsite at all times.

    So my next question becomes, how do you manage expired media? As I
mentioned, media wasn't shoing up in the media db, yet when I re-inserted
expired media into the library and re-updated the inventory, the media would
not be returned into the scratch pool. Bpexpdate would complain that the
media wasn't in the media db, yet when I tried to use vmmove, I would get
errors about attempting to move media that was assigned.

    So what gives? Shouldn't expired media automatically be returned to the
scratch pool once it's been re-inserted into the library? Or am I missing a
step here? If it doesn't do this automatically, is it because it's a Bad
Idea, or is it because it's just another example of the 'Veritas Way Of
Doing Things' in action?

    -Jeff

On a side note, think Symantec is going to change the NetBackup name to
'Norton NetBackup'? :) Betcha it'll come complete with LiveUpdate library
definition updates, and popup windows that tell you your license is expired
every year. :)

On 3/30/05 1:25 AM, "Tim Berger" <tim.berger AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> [...]
>> My original scheme was to do the following;
>>
>>     Full backups on Sundays, sent to the 'Full' pool
>>     Cumulatives on Monday, Wed, Fri, sent to the 'Cumulative' pool
>>     Differentials on Tue, Thur, Sat, sent to the 'Differential' pool.
>
> Ideally, you'd have a separate volume pool for every retention level
> and a separate schedule specifying each of those pools.  Yes, this
> becomes messy.  Netbackup has no native way of stating that level 0's
> on the first sunday of the month should have their retention extended
> by 6 more months or that the first level0 of the year should have a
> retetion of 7 years.
>
> The netbackup way would be to have multiple schedules using the same
> volume pool, which will end up running more scheduled backups than you
> need and would use more tapes than is necessary.
>
> Instead, use bpexpdate to tweak the expirations with a script.  There
> was a small thread on this ~ Feb 10.  Check the archives.
>
> I'd recommend keeping pools simple.  Unless you have a library with
> hundreds of free slots that you don't need, managing multiple pools is
> a pain because you need to make sure every pool is always well
> stocked.  This isn't necessary.
>
> I believe the most practical apprach is to keep the number of pools to
> a minimum.  One for level 0's, one for incrementals, and one for tape
> duplications, if you choose to do that.
>
>>     That doesn't seem to be a very good policy, since managing it all turns
>> into this giant mess, and for some reason expired tapes never seemed to
>> expire properly - they'd just stop showing up in the media db and never get
>
> They'll stop showing up with bpmedialist, but they'll show up with
> vmquery -b -a.  That's how you can detect an expired tape.
>
>> overwritten.. figuring out which ones needed to go off-site was a pain too..
>
> bpduplicate can be used to determine which tapes need to go offsite.
> There are options to prevent duplication and will only show which
> volumes would need to be copied.  See the netbackup command line
> documentation.
>
> For example, to find out which level 0, sched type FULL, sched label
> Level0 volumes were written in that last 24 hours, do:
> % bpduplicate -hoursago 24 -PD -st FULL -sl  Level0
>
> Hope this helps.
>

>>     I'm obviously missing something, and I'm hoping someone can provide me
>> with some info so I can have a 'Eureka!' moment where it all clicks..
>>
>>     Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just pointing me in the
>> right direction to some good reading..
>>
>>     -Jeff
>> --
>>  Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
>> oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist
>> and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you
>> can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
>> raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Jeff McCombs                 |                                    NIC, Inc
Systems Administrator        |                       http://www.nicusa.com
jeffm AT nicusa DOT com             |                                NASDAQ:
EGOV
Phone: (703) 909-3277        |        "NIC - the People Behind eGovernment"