Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] status 89 out of the blue

2005-03-23 07:55:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] status 89 out of the blue
From: Bobby.Williams AT gtsi DOT com (Bobby Williams)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:55:15 -0500

Check for "zombie" processes on the server.

We are seeing processes that are not closed correctly on Masters and
Medias that are creating these "zombies".  Do a "ps -ef" and grep for
"defunct".

The only way to clear these zombies is a reboot.  These zombie processes
will keep the memory allocated and it can't be used by other processes.

Bobby Williams
Senior Systems Engineer
GTSI Corp, State and Local, Southeast
4250-A Benton Drive