Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] modification of policies

2005-03-21 12:46:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] modification of policies
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:46:42 -0600
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 10:54:25AM -0500, Paul Keating wrote:
> What modifications of a policy are severe enough that the backup won't
> recognize it's previous full, and end up backing up running an
> equivalent to a FULL??
>
> I know renaming a policy, or moving a client to a different policy will
> effect it enough.

In theory, if you can stop the scheduler, edit the STREAMS file, and
start the scheduler, you might be able to get away with these too.
I've tried to make the edits without restarting the scheduler and it
still kicked off the fulls.

> What about modifying schedules (Implementing dual inline copy) or
> changing directives, like from ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES to explicit C:\, D:\,
> System_State, etc.

The easiest way I've found is to check the STREAMS file and see what's
in it.  If the master server had full access to the client before,
you'll see that ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES was expanded to C:, D:, etc.  In this
case, changing ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES to the individual drives should not make
a difference.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org